Hey everyone!
Well, I'm here safe and sound. What an adventure it was though, that's for sure. We traveled for literally over 24 hours. The first plane ride was 13 hours. I tried to sleep, but couldn't much, so I knitted and read and watched tv and listened to music. About 1/2 way through I was really getting ansy, but overall it wasn't too bad. Kinda more of a blur than anything else.
We had a 3 our layover in Tokyo, so, yay, I've been to the Japan, even if it was just the airport. We were alldead tired because it was about 1 am American time, and so decided we wanted to sleep a little bit. When we laid down in a corner, though, we seriously had people staring and laughing at us. I guess it's not normal to lay down in an airport in japan like I think it would be in America. Anyways, the next flight we rode on a HUGE plane. It had two levels and was 10 seats across! I had a whole row to myself, as I believe all of us did, so I laid down and slept for almost the entire flight. We were delayed for about 40 minutes and taxied on the runway during that time, but honestly I'm not sure why because they were speaking in Japanese.
Everything through customs went smoothly, we all got our bags, and found the people from Frontline easily, so overall travels were awesome. After getting into Manila we had about a 2 hours ride to San Pablo, so by the time we got to where we'll be staying for the next two weeks, it was like 11am American time. I was pretty distraugt because the phone they had told us to use didn't work so I couldn't call home. The ride from the airport to San Pablo, as well as getting there, really kind of unnerved me. It was definitely just a big culture shock.
We have quaint but wonderful accomadations. There are 2 hut-like things, one for each pair of two girls. The boys are staying in a room attached to the office. Casey and I are in one, Marquita and Lindsey are in another. In each one is a desk, buck beds, a closet, and a bench. The bathrooms and showers are in their own little building also on the compound. There are about 30 other people, all part of Frontline, living there as well.
Today we had orienation, where they told us about what we'd be doing. We also visited the orphanage and school, which we're at right now. The children are all soo wonderful and we actually get to go back to the orphanage later to play, which is fantastic. We will be doing devotionals in the morning every day, be visiting the school, helping with chores around the compound, visiting the jail with their jail ministry, and playing with the kids at the orphanage.
Today has been so very fun. The kids are amazzzinggg. It will take some getting used to with the different lifestyle, smells, heat, food, etc.
I have been thinking about my family and friends alot. I hope everyone is well. While today has just been a peak into what we'll be doing, I'm very exciting to see what the next 12 days hold.
Please keep the prayers coming :)
Much love,
Danielle
Oh, yes, and the typhoon completely changed direction and is headed north, totally away from us. :) God is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yay! Glad to see you're doing alright and having a blast.
Danielle!
It is sooo good to hear that you are safe!! :) I am really happy that you are having a good time.
I look forward to reading about the rest of your time there!
-Katy
I'm so glad everything has gone well so far!! I can't wait to hear about all your adventures!!
love ya-
mom xoxo
That is wonderful that the typhoon swung away. The power of prayer is amazing.
And you have had an amazing time already, it would seem. Dont forget to sleep!!! Stay safe.
With Love. Me
Post a Comment